DOSbox Siliness

Prince Valiant

Re: DOSbox Siliness

Post by Prince Valiant »

merkelspam wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:17 pm A space counts as a seperator for *nix commands.

Spaces in directories or filenames makes problems. Life is better if you never put spaces in filenames or directories, ever. No special characters. Just letters, numerals and underscores.

Windows 'innovated' allowing spaces in directory- and filenames and the world has been fucked ever since.

If you want to issue a command and send it some name with spaces in it, you need to put it in quotes. Oh yeah and there's a slash between home and username.

mount c "/home/owner1/DOS Games/"
Thanks!

:)
:FISH I follow the quest. This is the way. :war_sig :Mint
Atruepatriot

Post by Atruepatriot »

Prince Valiant wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:14 pm
Atruepatriot wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 4:47 am
It goofed in stages, first it will mount no problem, then it stopped recognizing the .exe/start files on all of them. Now it is locked up on and I can't close it without powering down. I think I have a bad install. I will just purge it and reinstall. Now that is one thing that is common in Linux for some reason. sometimes you have to uninstall and then reinstall stuff.

Did you install it from the repositories? Or from somewhere else? I did it from the repositories. Through the software manager.
Yes I always go to the repositories first, and then I check Synaptic to see if it offers a newer version. If not I go back to software manager and grab it. Then I run an update on it from terminal. I just found that sometimes installs are not always solid and reinstalling it normally fixes the problem. Rather than fight something for days chasing stuff, I do a reinstall first and most times that was the issue. When in doubt first try a reboot... lol

“The ultimate test of a moral society is the kind of world it leaves to its children.” ~ Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Prince Valiant

Post by Prince Valiant »

Atruepatriot wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 5:16 am Yes I always go to the repositories first, and then I check Synaptic to see if it offers a newer version. If not I go back to software manager and grab it. Then I run an update on it from terminal. I just found that sometimes installs are not always solid and reinstalling it normally fixes the problem. Rather than fight something for days chasing stuff, I do a reinstall first and most times that was the issue. When in doubt first try a reboot... lol

Did you install the flathub version or the other one? Because I installed the other one first and was unable to locate a config file, or the program itself. I also tried to change the config file through the dosbox terminal, but it didn't have any effect. I ended up installing the flathub version and located both the config file and the program itself. I've now got it upscaled to fit my screen, and all is working well. How does the other one even work if a system search couldn't turn up the program or the config file?

:skeptic :shrugs
:FISH I follow the quest. This is the way. :war_sig :Mint
Atruepatriot

Post by Atruepatriot »

Prince Valiant wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 4:05 pm
Atruepatriot wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 5:16 am Yes I always go to the repositories first, and then I check Synaptic to see if it offers a newer version. If not I go back to software manager and grab it. Then I run an update on it from terminal. I just found that sometimes installs are not always solid and reinstalling it normally fixes the problem. Rather than fight something for days chasing stuff, I do a reinstall first and most times that was the issue. When in doubt first try a reboot... lol

Did you install the flathub version or the other one? Because I installed the other one first and was unable to locate a config file, or the program itself. I also tried to change the config file through the dosbox terminal, but it didn't have any effect. I ended up installing the flathub version and located both the config file and the program itself. I've now got it upscaled to fit my screen, and all is working well. How does the other one even work if a system search couldn't turn up the program or the config file?

:skeptic :shrugs
I think I did the flathub version. I did find the config file and made a few successful changes. And it worked after that a few times. I'm not sure what is up, so just a reinstall might help. I know where I am going now, so it won't take but a few minutes to set it up again. I just haven't had time... G-Ma is home and I have been busting ass to get everything in order around here so she has an easier time getting around safely and such.

“The ultimate test of a moral society is the kind of world it leaves to its children.” ~ Dietrich Bonhoeffer