8 Android Settings You Need To Turn Off Now [2022]

Clayton

8 Android Settings You Need To Turn Off Now [2022]

Post by Clayton »

Recently acquired a new phone and the default settings on Android nowadays are just blatantly spying on you. They don't even try to hide it. While your device will not be private/secure from Google and your telecom even after fixing these settings, at least cut the problem down to only being spied on by them instead of being spied on by basically the entire world, which is how the out-of-the-box settings are currently configured...

Jer. 11:18-20. "The Kingdom of God has come upon you." -- Matthew 12:28
Atruepatriot

Re: 8 Android Settings You Need To Turn Off Now [2022]

Post by Atruepatriot »

Yep... Absolutely. Everything disabled or deleted except phone, text, contacts, and image storage if you can't live without your camera. I don't even use an app to handle image files, I save them as direct raw file storage.
“The ultimate test of a moral society is the kind of world it leaves to its children.” ~ Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Atruepatriot

Post by Atruepatriot »

App source for degoogling Android

F-Driod

https://f-droid.org/en/packages/
“The ultimate test of a moral society is the kind of world it leaves to its children.” ~ Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Machine Trooper

Post by Machine Trooper »

Clayton wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 8:28 am Recently acquired a new phone and the default settings on Android nowadays are just blatantly spying on you. They don't even try to hide it. While your device will not be private/secure from Google and your telecom even after fixing these settings, at least cut the problem down to only being spied on by them instead of being spied on by basically the entire world, which is how the out-of-the-box settings are currently configured...

There's a "ghost phone" (forget the actual name but "ghost" is in it) being advertised on Gab. Anybody have info on it?

I know any cellphone can be used to track you, and spy on you; but the idea of minimal bloatware and making the Man work for it does appeal to me. With that in mind, would this be worth it?
Clayton

Post by Clayton »

Machine Trooper wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 2:45 pm There's a "ghost phone" (forget the actual name but "ghost" is in it) being advertised on Gab. Anybody have info on it?

I know any cellphone can be used to track you, and spy on you; but the idea of minimal bloatware and making the Man work for it does appeal to me. With that in mind, would this be worth it?
Idk anything about it, but I would avoid it like the plague. Standard, COTS equipment is the best way to "blend in", then just disable everything that can be disabled and/or keep it normally off or separated from you (e.g. leave it at home), etc. The FBI has released phones like this in the past and it was just a honeypot operation. I want to blend in as much as possible.

Using Linux goes against this, since it makes you stand out on the Net, but there are ways to obfuscate yourself if you want to (you can obscure the browser-agent appear to be running whatever you want, but this does require some level of diligence... I haven't gone to that level, yet, but I might if the Bug-Eaters keep turning the thumb-screws.)

Atruepatriot

Post by Atruepatriot »

Machine Trooper wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 2:45 pm
Clayton wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 8:28 am Recently acquired a new phone and the default settings on Android nowadays are just blatantly spying on you. They don't even try to hide it. While your device will not be private/secure from Google and your telecom even after fixing these settings, at least cut the problem down to only being spied on by them instead of being spied on by basically the entire world, which is how the out-of-the-box settings are currently configured...

There's a "ghost phone" (forget the actual name but "ghost" is in it) being advertised on Gab. Anybody have info on it?

Here it is...

https://ghostmode.us/products/ghost-phone-preorder

But I did almost the same thing to my last three Andriod phones. I degoogled them and It can be done to most of them. Give me a minute to do a chore and I will be back with the steps.
Atruepatriot

Post by Atruepatriot »

Clayton wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 2:50 pm
Machine Trooper wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 2:45 pm There's a "ghost phone" (forget the actual name but "ghost" is in it) being advertised on Gab. Anybody have info on it?

Idk anything about it, but I would avoid it like the plague. Standard, COTS equipment is the best way to "blend in", then just disable everything that can be disabled and/or keep it normally off or separated from you (e.g. leave it at home), etc. The FBI has released phones like this in the past and it was just a honeypot operation. I want to blend in as much as possible.

Using Linux goes against this, since it makes you stand out on the Net, but there are ways to obfuscate yourself if you want to (you can obscure the browser-agent appear to be running whatever you want, but this does require some level of diligence... I haven't gone to that level, yet, but I might if the Bug-Eaters keep turning the thumb-screws.)

I agree, it can be done within what they come with default by removing and disabling apps. And never setting up a google account and connection from the start up as new. They do give you a thin crack to take advantage of and get though setting it up without making accounts.
Clayton

Post by Clayton »

Atruepatriot

Post by Atruepatriot »

Machine Trooper wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 2:45 pm

First... Buy a Prepay phone out the door without them helping set it up. Set it up yourself at home. Give them no names or fake names when you make the call to add the plan you want. Don't do it through the automated system... It will ask for stuff you do not have to give them to make it work. And if you don't supply the info it will not let you proceed. Make a call to a real person no matter how long you have to wait on the phone.

So what I do is reset to factory like new. And when going through the new setup I skip everything for "set up later" including the Google account trap and the "emergency physical address". The phone will work without a Google account or registration with Google. Then I go through and delete, remove or disable everything but the contacts, phone, text app, and camera. (Especially Location). I then use the default chrome browser to download and install another Browser like Brave for Mobile. Then disable or remove the chrome browser. I never had to give it a Google account or email address.

It is going to give you warnings about not being able to access your photos without a photo app, but it still will through the basic "file storage". It just takes a few extra clicks to get to them. And it may give you constant warnings wanting you to set up a physical address for emergencies. Unless you think you will need it then ignore it. Most phones now will not let you turn that off but it doesn't hurt to look and see. And your carrier is going to have apps, you can test these on/off and see if they are even needed for basic phone calls and texting. If not then disable or remove these to.

Ain't going to be fancy, but it will do the very minimum you need from a phone. Similar to the Ghost phone which is basically a phone that has been optimized as I described. I have been able to do this to the last three Android phones I have owned. An LG, A Samsung, And a TLC China spy phone.
Macaque Mentality

Post by Macaque Mentality »

Atruepatriot wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 5:03 pm First... Buy a Prepay phone out the door without them helping set it up. Set it up yourself at home. Give them no names or fake names when you make the call to add the plan you want. Don't do it through the automated system... It will ask for stuff you do not have to give them to make it work. And if you don't supply the info it will not let you proceed. Make a call to a real person no matter how long you have to wait on the phone.

So what I do is reset to factory like new. And when going through the new setup I skip everything for "set up later" including the Google account trap and the "emergency physical address". The phone will work without a Google account or registration with Google. Then I go through and delete, remove or disable everything but the contacts, phone, text app, and camera. (Especially Location). I then use the default chrome browser to download and install another Browser like Brave for Mobile. Then disable or remove the chrome browser. I never had to give it a Google account or email address.

It is going to give you warnings about not being able to access your photos without a photo app, but it still will through the basic "file storage". It just takes a few extra clicks to get to them. And it may give you constant warnings wanting you to set up a physical address for emergencies. Unless you think you will need it then ignore it. Most phones now will not let you turn that off but it doesn't hurt to look and see. And your carrier is going to have apps, you can test these on/off and see if they are even needed for basic phone calls and texting. If not then disable or remove these to.

Ain't going to be fancy, but it will do the very minimum you need from a phone. Similar to the Ghost phone which is basically a phone that has been optimized as I described. I have been able to do this to the last three Android phones I have owned. An LG, A Samsung, And a TLC China spy phone.
Great information. Thank you!
Clayton

Post by Clayton »

Atruepatriot wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 5:03 pm First... Buy a Prepay phone out the door without them helping set it up. Set it up yourself at home. Give them no names or fake names when you make the call to add the plan you want. Don't do it through the automated system... It will ask for stuff you do not have to give them to make it work. And if you don't supply the info it will not let you proceed. Make a call to a real person no matter how long you have to wait on the phone.

BTW, this is one of many problems that the "nomad convoy" concept solves... just because I bought/registered a device doesn't mean I'm actually the one using it. "Beast Global ID Tag" meet "social identity-blender"... :LMAO
Atruepatriot

Post by Atruepatriot »

Clayton wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 6:11 pm

BTW, this is one of many problems that the "nomad convoy" concept solves... just because I bought/registered a device doesn't mean I'm actually the one using it. "Beast Global ID Tag" meet "social identity-blender"... :LMAO
Yep, swap phones with others and put your SIMS in. The device ID can be shoved around to lots of phone numbers to confuse.
Atruepatriot

Post by Atruepatriot »

Macaque Mentality wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 5:32 pm

Great information. Thank you!
My privilege my friend. Yep but you do have to start with a prepay burn phone. It defeats any efforts at all if you buy a formal plan and phone. But they are much much cheaper than a formal plan...
Macaque Mentality

Post by Macaque Mentality »

Atruepatriot wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:18 pm My privilege my friend. Yep but you do have to start with a prepay burn phone. It defeats any efforts at all if you buy a formal plan and phone. But they are much much cheaper than a formal plan...
Yeah, your breakdown of the current process was very helpful for me. I've had burner phones before, but I'd figured they'd closed all of those loopholes. I'm very glad that's not the case.

One thing I'll add is to buy the burner in cash, preferably from a rural convenience store with an analog CCTV system or (not likely) no system at all. They can easily link the phone to a card. But even if you buy it with cash at a Target, you're still forcing them to spend additional resources to track you down.

I learned this, not from YT or any conventional media, but from gray/black hat marketing discussions, lol...
Atruepatriot

Post by Atruepatriot »

Macaque Mentality wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 8:43 pm
Atruepatriot wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:18 pm My privilege my friend. Yep but you do have to start with a prepay burn phone. It defeats any efforts at all if you buy a formal plan and phone. But they are much much cheaper than a formal plan...
Yeah, your breakdown of the current process was very helpful for me. I've had burner phones before, but I'd figured they'd closed all of those loopholes. I'm very glad that's not the case.

One thing I'll add is to buy the burner in cash, preferably from a rural convenience store with an analog CCTV system or (not likely) no system at all. They can easily link the phone to a card. But even if you buy it with cash at a Target, you're still forcing them to spend additional resources to track you down.

I learned this, not from YT or any conventional media, but from gray/black hat marketing discussions, lol...
Yep, absolutely. Cash or a prepay cash card. But they are going to constantly badger you to make it autopay and give them a card #. But what I find funny is that even if you don't care about being private it is still the cheapest way to get phone and data service.

No credit check.
$50 smartphones-$150 for iphone.
Unlimited plans for $60-$65 a month.
Autopay $50-$55.
Verizon and AT&T mobile let you Hotspot and Tether if you need it.
And no contract to pay off if you tell them to take a hike.

"Walmart burn phones are for poor trailer trash"

Go ahead and throw money away with status symbol iphones and expensive plans dummies.