Reticulum Network Stack

Macaque Mentality

Reticulum Network Stack

Post by Macaque Mentality »

Thanks @scruffynerf for mentioning Reticulum.

The blurb:
The cryptography-based networking stack for building unstoppable networks with LoRa, Packet Radio, WiFi and everything in between.
https://github.com/markqvist/Reticulum

Bigger blurb:
Reticulum is the cryptography-based networking stack for building local and wide-area networks with readily available hardware. It can operate even with very high latency and extremely low bandwidth. Reticulum allows you to build wide-area networks with off-the-shelf tools, and offers end-to-end encryption and connectivity, initiator anonymity, autoconfiguring cryptographically backed multi-hop transport, efficient addressing, unforgeable delivery acknowledgements and more.

The vision of Reticulum is to allow anyone to be their own network operator, and to make it cheap and easy to cover vast areas with a myriad of independent, inter-connectable and autonomous networks. Reticulum is not one network. It is a tool for building thousands of networks. Networks without kill-switches, surveillance, censorship and control. Networks that can freely interoperate, associate and disassociate with each other, and require no central oversight. Networks for human beings. Networks for the people.

Reticulum is a complete networking stack, and does not rely on IP or higher layers, but it is possible to use IP as the underlying carrier for Reticulum. It is therefore trivial to tunnel Reticulum over the Internet or private IP networks.

Having no dependencies on traditional networking stacks frees up overhead that has been used to implement a networking stack built directly on cryptographic principles, allowing resilience and stable functionality, even in open and trustless networks.

No kernel modules or drivers are required. Reticulum runs completely in userland, and can run on practically any system that runs Python 3.
Macaque Mentality

Re: Reticulum Network Stack

Forgot to tag you, @Atruepatriot :)
Atruepatriot

Post by Atruepatriot »

It sounds a lot like the base of Geminispace. Have to dig more...

:)
“The ultimate test of a moral society is the kind of world it leaves to its children.” ~ Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Atruepatriot

Post by Atruepatriot »

I like the capabilities and security of this protocol! But for myself there are a couple issues:

It uses peer node hops like others rather than true end to end transfers, and it appears to be another messaging and file sharing protocol rather than a network of website webpages like Gemin or Zeronet. I really would like to replace the internet with a secure underground internet of minimalistic light websites similar to the old days of usenet and rings rather than just messaging and file sharing. But my main aim is ease of installation and setup using off the shelf tools for the average boob user. It cannot be too techy and complicated or the interest will be extremely minimal and limited to prima-donna techy folks as a private good old boys club. It has to be a turnkey client install package like Lagrange/Geminispace and replace the internet with personal domains and websites to surf. Being limited to just messaging and file sharing can't do this.
“The ultimate test of a moral society is the kind of world it leaves to its children.” ~ Dietrich Bonhoeffer
scruffynerf

Post by scruffynerf »

Atruepatriot wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 8:03 am I like the capabilities and security of this protocol! But for myself there are a couple issues:

It uses peer node hops like others rather than true end to end transfers, and it appears to be another messaging and file sharing protocol rather than a network of website webpages like Gemin or Zeronet. I really would like to replace the internet with a secure underground internet of minimalistic light websites similar to the old days of usenet and rings rather than just messaging and file sharing. But my main aim is ease of installation and setup using off the shelf tools for the average boob user. It cannot be too techy and complicated or the interest will be extremely minimal and limited to prima-donna techy folks as a private good old boys club. It has to be a turnkey client install package like Lagrange/Geminispace and replace the internet with personal domains and websites to surf. Being limited to just messaging and file sharing can't do this.
Pick your poison. Everything has pluses and minuses. Reticulum can run on anything running python, for example. So write some scripts, and it's doable as one install away.
Atruepatriot

Post by Atruepatriot »

scruffynerf wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 9:14 am
Atruepatriot wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 8:03 am I like the capabilities and security of this protocol! But for myself there are a couple issues:

Pick your poison. Everything has pluses and minuses. Reticulum can run on anything running python, for example. So write some scripts, and it's doable as one install away.
I think I need to explain the difference more clearly and maybe you will understand where I am coming from and why I am after a particular format.

A file messaging app/client environment is like facebook or Twitter. There ends up being separate private "groups/clicks" of followers. Where as a forum like ours here is primarily first and foremost a public square. Other than PM of course, everything posted here goes to everyone else here. It is more of an all inclusive community environment than the "social media" scripts are.

The social scripts of Facebook and Twitter are not really designed to be an open community. They are designed for individuals to create their own little private groups and hide from all the other little private groups as a standard. A messaging/file sharing app will be the same thing.

As where a forum is all inclusive to all logged in. It is primarily a public square. But each forum in here is basically a website of it's own. In fact, the controls in the back all have to be set for each and every forum separately just like they were each their own website. But they are all part of the one timelessauthors/ public square.

Now if private circles were to form in the background by PM it would be like a messaging app. As where posting and replying to the board is public and all inclusive. What I am after is all inclusive if everyone has the common client. Basically a private internet with all the bells and whistles like the current indexed internet. Geminispace is this. It is actually a common internet of it's own. It has it's own common indexing and URL scheme that is searchable. It is a common place with a common standard script language to host personal websites on personal servers just like Usenet was back in the dial up days.

But it is now easy to install and set up this side bet internet for the average user compared to Usenet. Make it too complicated and you have lost the average user before you even start and it will die except for five techy users. Gemini is a one click install for both windows and Ubuntu flavor Linux and you have access to a whole separate decentralized public internet of it's own aside from the indexed WWW/HTTP protocols. It really is a whole internet of it's own with Blogs, BBS forums, Wikis, Image galleries, inline images, Search engines, Chat, Email, Games, prebuilt servers, sample website scripts to copy for your self hosting of your own sites, Etc.

I can't repeat it enough... You will probably never truly understand until you install it and go play with it personally. It is Usenet 2.0 but with modern encrypted security. It is very cool stuff already to go without needing to be techy to make it work.
scruffynerf

Post by scruffynerf »

No, I do get it.

https://github.com/4c3e/offpunk-rrtp
Is a fork of a tool that does offline gemini, and adds reticulum support

But gemini is an 'environment' while reticulum is just a layer for people to build on top of... meshtastic is a message platform only.

Each of these scratches someone's itch, and few want to integrate...

nobody is building the "best of breed", in part due to lack of users, which was my point, all of these attract very small slices of interest. And yes, they also don't make it easy to get started. The curse of devs with poor ui skills and inability to see how it hurts them.
Atruepatriot

Post by Atruepatriot »

scruffynerf wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 2:35 pm No, I do get it.

https://github.com/4c3e/offpunk-rrtp
Is a fork of a tool that does offline gemini, and adds reticulum support

But gemini is an 'environment' while reticulum is just a layer for people to build on top of... meshtastic is a message platform only.

Each of these scratches someone's itch, and few want to integrate...

nobody is building the "best of breed", in part due to lack of users, which was my point, all of these attract very small slices of interest. And yes, they also don't make it easy to get started. The curse of devs with poor ui skills and inability to see how it hurts them.
I understand too. But unless you need it for radio or local area wireless networks it would be an unneeded addition. For normal IP internet access the base of the Gemini is excellent as is. The advantages I like are true end to end direct connections without need of any peer nodes in between and the end to end certificate protocol. Basically it uses the internet connection as the "telephone system" that Usenet took advantage of back in the day.

Here is the deal... Even if you go through a peer node network each peer node also has it's own requirement for ISP server support. So you are not routing around infrastructure at all and taking side trips off to the side that are not needed. In fact you may be adding even more infrastructure server demand routing than if you just go directly from end to end through the most direct route and least infrastructure servers needed to get there. Just like the onion protocol, each peer node it's self is an added security issue too. Fewer there are the more secure it will be.

Now the only thing you cannot do with Gemini is hide your IP. A VPN would help with this issue and can be boxed with the package download. I would like to put together complete suite with OS and all the tools and apps configured and ready to go except for minimal personal settings. Re-ported, custom URL system, Lagrange client/browser, personal server set up with sample Blog installed, qTox messenger, VPN, Etc. Shouldn't be any harder than compiling a custom distro with custom apps.

One simple download and install to a USB stick and then run it all independently plug and play from the stick... And windows users? They are getting linux as a base OS on the stick like it or not... lol

Meshnet/reticulum and radio tools could also be pre-installed and ready to go as an option... Just add hardware and turn it on.
scruffynerf

Post by scruffynerf »

One simple download and install to a USB stick and then run it all independently plug and play from the stick... And windows users? They are getting linux as a base OS on the stick like it or not... lol
The run from USB stuff is so good now, you can have a full windows setup with portable apps and usb saving
Atruepatriot

Post by Atruepatriot »

scruffynerf wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 4:57 pm
The run from USB stuff is so good now, you can have a full windows setup with portable apps and usb saving
Yep... Not that I would though... lol

18 gigs for Win 10 Vs 2 gigs for a fully loaded Mint Cinnamon. I have built about 50 full Linux system sticks now many for others who want to have a full portable system to try, and many for myself that I switch out as needed for different uses. Linux is pretty fast from a USB stick and does well as an independent external system. Only limit is how much storage you are limited to because of size. I have one full system on an old 16 gig stick that runs fine for web surfing. Basically the same concept as "Tails".

https://tails.net/
Macaque Mentality

scruffynerf wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 4:57 pm The run from USB stuff is so good now, you can have a full windows setup with portable apps and usb saving
This is what I do. I really need to try Linux, though. I don't need Windows anymore...
Atruepatriot

Post by Atruepatriot »

Macaque Mentality wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 7:32 pm
scruffynerf wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 4:57 pm The run from USB stuff is so good now, you can have a full windows setup with portable apps and usb saving
This is what I do. I really need to try Linux, though. I don't need Windows anymore...
Rufus will do that for you.

The "portable" version will give you persistent storage.

rufus-4.4p.exe

https://rufus.ie/en/

Atruepatriot

Post by Atruepatriot »

Wait? Are you on Linux now?
Macaque Mentality

Atruepatriot wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 8:06 pm Rufus will do that for you.

rufus-4.4p.exe

Thanks! :)
Atruepatriot wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 8:28 pm Wait? Are you on Linux now?
No, but I don't need Windows-only apps anymore. Also I've completely changed how I view computing since I've been here. Over time, I've also realized the amount of power I generally need is quite low, especially once I move over to Linux.

I've had my mind on so many things that I've just decided to take up Linux when I feel up to it.
Atruepatriot

Post by Atruepatriot »

Macaque Mentality wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 6:50 am
Atruepatriot wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 8:06 pm Rufus will do that for you.

rufus-4.4p.exe

Thanks! :)
Atruepatriot wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 8:28 pm Wait? Are you on Linux now?
No, but I don't need Windows-only apps anymore. Also I've completely changed how I view computing since I've been here. Over time, I've also realized the amount of power I generally need is quite low, especially once I move over to Linux.

I've had my mind on so many things that I've just decided to take up Linux when I feel up to it.
Thank you, that is kind of what I understood. I had to ask because the Rufus tool is for Windows only and will not work on Linux.

I was like "Oh crap!" he is going to download Rufus and try to use it with Linux. lol

There is another whole process for Linux so that you end up with persistent storage rather than just a "test drive/install" stick that forgets everything when you close it.

Rufus portable using windows is actually easier to make a portable Linux stick with persistent storage so you can save settings, install apps, and store files.

Ironic right?

merkelspam

Post by merkelspam »

One doesn't successfully 'try linux' for the same reasons one doesn't successfully 'try algebra'.

It's a committment to freedom and living as a free man. It takes study. It takes effort. It involves a deep attitude adjustment. It is work.

To live in the house of windows is to inevitably suffer beaten wife syndrome. She will be afraid of the outside world; of doing her own repairs; of handling her own paperwork.

But she will stop being a beaten wife.
... :SF