Gemini project & Lagrange, a Browser for Gemini

Atruepatriot

Re: Gemini project & Lagrange, a Browser for Gemini

Post by Atruepatriot »

Dec 04 Β· 3 weeks ago Β· πŸ‘ gemalaya, clseibold, Yretek

Ironically... "gemalaya" who also gave my question a like is the owner and developer of the #2 competitive Gemini client/browser behind the Lagrange... lol
β€œThe ultimate test of a moral society is the kind of world it leaves to its children.” ~ Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Macaque Mentality

Post by Macaque Mentality »

Machine Trooper wrote: ↑Mon Dec 25, 2023 11:02 pm That is awesome news, MM.

:bouncy

The church I'm going to is literally dying (old folks with health problems going from bad to worse to gone), and the preacher still takes the MSM seriously (despite knowing it is "biased"--I guess he's still stuck in the '70s), but he speaks the Word boldly. I'm fortunate that way. But y'all here on TA are my strongest connection to the underground church thus far.
:thumbsup :)
Machine Trooper

Post by Machine Trooper »

Atruepatriot wrote: ↑Tue Dec 26, 2023 5:25 am
Machine Trooper wrote: ↑Mon Dec 25, 2023 8:50 pm Back when I first discovered the Net, everything was text-based and you had to access it with VAX or UNIX. This sounds similar.

If it's all P2P, then are sites hosted by the users on their PCs? Sorry if that was explained and I missed it.

I've believed for decades that the (actual) Church would have to go underground at some point. Something like this could be crucial.

I'll try this out when I get some time.
It is almost exactly the same as those old days with slightly improved capabilities. Tiny minimalistic static text sites with no bling or fanfare like Usenet and "rings" used to be. Yes, self hosted personal servers as a second and separate option if you want to share personal content, a community BBS board, or Etc. It "lives" in it's own internet "realm" with it's own port assignment and addressing system and is not part of the HTTP or WWW addressing protocols. So like the TOR "onion" (dot) net it does not have to answer to the authority, control, indexing, or regulation of the normal net.

Now keep in mind what I have proposed is not to actually use the existing "Geminispace" they already have established. Because there are also a lot of woke developers in there and it is global, Russians and all. But what I propose instead is to utilize the open source and open licensed software and create our own unique and personal "internet of websites" with our own custom porting and addressing. But please do go get the client and go check it out to see what a cool concept it really is!, and why it would be perfect for communities to go stealth.

Please let me know if you do and I will post a list of good websites to bookmark!

The Linux version of best client can be found in the software manager and you want "Lagrange" client/browser. And for windows it is on this page:

https://git.skyjake.fi/gemini/lagrange/releases

But as always a backup or a restore point to roll back to is suggested just in case. But I can testify that it works flawlessly for me on Linux and they have made zero complaints about the windows version. I asked the developers of Lagrange themselves personally to make sure:

"I have several folks talked into coming to take a look at Gemini. They long for the old days of simple sites. I have suggested using Lagrange because it works flawlessly for me on Linux. They use windows and I was curious if there are any known issues to look for with Lagrange on windows? All versions including Win 11 good to go? Just wanted to check and make sure all is good to go or if there are any precautions before they pull the trigger? I personally don't know because I don't use windows. Any help would be be much appreciated!

THANK YOU! :)"

=> /u/ πŸš€

## Actions
=> /edit/12331 ✏️ Edit post
=> /comment/12331 πŸ’¬ Comment
=> 12331/more More...

## 4 Comments ↑

=> /u/N10A/12337 πŸ‘» N10A Β· Dec 05 at 00:34:
yeah using lagrange on windows wasn't a problem for me, felt like using any other app.

=> /u//12336 πŸš€ Β· Dec 05 at 00:33:
@flipperzero, @clseibold. Thank you! As close tabs as @skyjake keeps on it I had already figured it was good to go without any issues! Version compatibility was my only real worry. :)

=> /u/clseibold/12334 πŸš€ clseibold Β· Dec 04 at 23:46:
Lagrange works well on Windows. I use it on Windows 11, so there should be no problems, afaik.

=> /u/flipperzero/12333 😎 flipperzero · Dec 04 at 23:44:
I'm using it on Win10 Home Edition right now (Lenovo Thinkpad i440 w/ dual-boot between Win10 and MX Linux)

Seems fine to me, no problems here. Renders here as fine as it does over Linux.
Thanks, ATP!
Atruepatriot

Post by Atruepatriot »

Machine Trooper wrote: ↑Tue Dec 26, 2023 7:36 pm
Atruepatriot wrote: ↑Tue Dec 26, 2023 5:25 am
Machine Trooper wrote: ↑Mon Dec 25, 2023 8:50 pm Back when I first discovered the Net, everything was text-based and you had to access it with VAX or UNIX. This sounds similar.

If it's all P2P, then are sites hosted by the users on their PCs? Sorry if that was explained and I missed it.

I've believed for decades that the (actual) Church would have to go underground at some point. Something like this could be crucial.

I'll try this out when I get some time.
It is almost exactly the same as those old days with slightly improved capabilities. Tiny minimalistic static text sites with no bling or fanfare like Usenet and "rings" used to be. Yes, self hosted personal servers as a second and separate option if you want to share personal content, a community BBS board, or Etc. It "lives" in it's own internet "realm" with it's own port assignment and addressing system and is not part of the HTTP or WWW addressing protocols. So like the TOR "onion" (dot) net it does not have to answer to the authority, control, indexing, or regulation of the normal net.

Now keep in mind what I have proposed is not to actually use the existing "Geminispace" they already have established. Because there are also a lot of woke developers in there and it is global, Russians and all. But what I propose instead is to utilize the open source and open licensed software and create our own unique and personal "internet of websites" with our own custom porting and addressing. But please do go get the client and go check it out to see what a cool concept it really is!, and why it would be perfect for communities to go stealth.

Please let me know if you do and I will post a list of good websites to bookmark!

The Linux version of best client can be found in the software manager and you want "Lagrange" client/browser. And for windows it is on this page:

https://git.skyjake.fi/gemini/lagrange/releases

But as always a backup or a restore point to roll back to is suggested just in case. But I can testify that it works flawlessly for me on Linux and they have made zero complaints about the windows version. I asked the developers of Lagrange themselves personally to make sure:

"I have several folks talked into coming to take a look at Gemini. They long for the old days of simple sites. I have suggested using Lagrange because it works flawlessly for me on Linux. They use windows and I was curious if there are any known issues to look for with Lagrange on windows? All versions including Win 11 good to go? Just wanted to check and make sure all is good to go or if there are any precautions before they pull the trigger? I personally don't know because I don't use windows. Any help would be be much appreciated!

THANK YOU! :)"

=> /u/ πŸš€

## Actions
=> /edit/12331 ✏️ Edit post
=> /comment/12331 πŸ’¬ Comment
=> 12331/more More...

## 4 Comments ↑

=> /u/N10A/12337 πŸ‘» N10A Β· Dec 05 at 00:34:
yeah using lagrange on windows wasn't a problem for me, felt like using any other app.

=> /u//12336 πŸš€ Β· Dec 05 at 00:33:
@flipperzero, @clseibold. Thank you! As close tabs as @skyjake keeps on it I had already figured it was good to go without any issues! Version compatibility was my only real worry. :)

=> /u/clseibold/12334 πŸš€ clseibold Β· Dec 04 at 23:46:
Lagrange works well on Windows. I use it on Windows 11, so there should be no problems, afaik.

=> /u/flipperzero/12333 😎 flipperzero · Dec 04 at 23:44:
I'm using it on Win10 Home Edition right now (Lenovo Thinkpad i440 w/ dual-boot between Win10 and MX Linux)

Seems fine to me, no problems here. Renders here as fine as it does over Linux.
Thanks, ATP!
Absolutely my pleasure! I hope you find the time and gumption to go take a look!
β€œThe ultimate test of a moral society is the kind of world it leaves to its children.” ~ Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Atruepatriot

Post by Atruepatriot »

This is how simple the pages are @Clayton. Here user and dev oldernow shares how he makes fancy custom boxes around text. That is jumping to a whole new level over how simple it all is coded. I'm telling you all these sites are tiny and minimal like the days of usenet.

Just wanted to share some of how it is coded for you. :)
Screenshot from 2023-12-27 17-47-19.png
Comment by ☯️ oldernow

=> /u/oldernow/13076 Re: "Thin and to the point"
=> /u/oldernow In: u/oldernow

@stack Here be the Lua scripts. You'll see they're not well documented, but read from stdin and write to stdout, making the perfect to run against lines in a vim session a la:

* :<first-line-number>,<last-line-number>!center
* :<first-line-number>,<last-line-number>!box

NOTE: The source code below contains tab characters.

## center

Looks like "center" takes a couple optional arguments related to some kind of additional padding.

Let's say you start with this on lines 1 through 4 in a vim session:

```
this
is a test
to see
what happens
```

running ":1,4!center" leads to:

```
this
is a test
to see
what happens
```

running ":1,4!center @" leads to:

```
@@@@this@@@@
@is a test@@
@@@to see@@@
what happens
```

(see how it used argument one as a padding character?)

running ":1,4!center @ x" leads to:

```
@@@@this
@is a test
@@@to see
what happens
```

So apparently the second argument (which can be anything) leads to the padding occurring only at the front of lines.

### "center" source

```
#! /usr/bin/env lua
local pad = ' '
if arg[1] then
pad = arg[1]
end
t = {}
max = 0
for line in io.stdin:lines() do
line = string.gsub(line, '^%s*', '')
line = string.gsub(line, '%s*$', '')
table.insert(t, line)
if #line > max then max = #line end
end
for i,line in ipairs(t) do
if #line > 0 then
for j=1, (max-#line)/2, 1 do
io.stdout:write(pad)
end
if arg[1] then
io.stdout:write(line)
if not arg[2] then
for j=1, (max-#line)/2, 1 do
end
if (max-#line)%2 > 0 then
end
end
print()
else
print(line)
end
else
print(line)
end
end
```

## box

Starting with this in lines 1 through 4 of a vim session:

```
this
is a test
to see
what happens
```

running ":1,4!box" leads to:

```
================
| this |
| is a test |
| to see |
| what happens |
================
```

running ":1,4!box x" (i.e. with optional argument that means 'use - instead of = for the top/bottom lines') leads to:

```
----------------
| this |
| is a test |
| to see |
| what happens |
----------------
```

Looks like it also uses an optional TAB environment variable for some reason (sorry...), but will also recognize the presence of a "-c" flag, directing it to center text within the box... which I *think* obviates the "center script".

So starting with this in lines 1 through 4 of a vim session:

```
this
is a test
to see
what happens
```

running ":1,4!box" leads to:

```
================
| this |
| is a test |
| to see |
| what happens |
================
```

running ":1,4!box -c" leads to:

```
================
| this |
| is a test |
| to see |
| what happens |
================
```

Yeah, I know... flakey... not documented for sh*t, etc. But I tend to forget what I've written before, generally don't have patience to refactor for reuse, etc.

In other words, I'm no @skyjake. :-)

Good luck!

### box source

```
#! /usr/bin/env lua
local tab = os.getenv('TAB')
if tab then
if tonumber(tab) then
tab = string.rep(' ', tonumber(tab))
end
end
local center = false
for i,v in ipairs(arg) do
if v == '-c' then
center = true
table.remove(arg, i)
end
end
local lines = {}
local max = 0
for line in io.stdin:lines() do
if tab then
line = string.gsub(line, '\t', tab)
end
local len = string.len(line)
if len > max then
max = len
end
table.insert(lines, line)
end
local c = '='
if arg[1] then
c = '-'
end
print(string.rep(c, max+4))
if center then
for i,line in ipairs(lines) do
local front = math.floor((max - string.len(line)) / 2)
local back = max - string.len(line) - front
print('| ' .. string.rep(' ', front) .. line .. string.rep(' ', back) .. ' |')
end
else
for i,line in ipairs(lines) do
print('| ' .. line .. string.rep(' ', max - string.len(line)) .. ' |')
end
end
print(string.rep(c, max+4))
```

=> /u/oldernow ☯️ oldernow
18 minutes ago
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Atruepatriot

Post by Atruepatriot »

Since I can't get any of you guys to go to Gemini, I found a way to bring Gemini to you. This is a personal proxy server that acts as an interface portal between the normal HTTP/ protocol and the Gemini protocol. It allows you to browse the Geminispace from a HTTP browser connection. Now keep in mind that because each server is personal, and each personal host can set their own rules for usage, the woke rules on this proxy do not represent or speak for the Geminispace protocol. Every individual server belongs to the host as their own with their own rules just like serving up a website on the normal net. There are several proxies but I found this one to be unique and works well.

Gemini-proxy

A Gemini browser, inspired by Netscape Navigator 2.0.

Gemini is a text-based alternative web protocol, aka "smol internet". Geminispace exists as a refuge from the increasingly bloated and corporate-controlled World Wide Web. This is a minimalist online space where content is front and center, users are people, and constraints inspire creativity.

Using this proxy browser you can explore Geminispace without installing any special software.

More info about gemini-proxy if you are interested:

https://www.obsessivefacts.com/gemini-p ... %2Ffaq.gmi

>>> HTTP/ to Geminispace proxy portal ( Netscape 2 themed interface ) personally hosted by user obsessivefacts.

https://www.obsessivefacts.com/gemini-proxy

Yestercities 3rd party Gemini site hosting. ( Netscape 2 themed interface )

https://www.obsessivefacts.com/gemini-p ... web.org%2F

Yestercities Proxy site list.

https://www.obsessivefacts.com/gemini-p ... Fsites.gmi

Some Gemini links to check out. Just enter URL in the address field in the obsessive facts proxy.

LaGrange/Geminispace BBS site:

gemini://bbs.geminispace.org/

gemini://skyjake.fi/~Cosmos/

gemini://bbs.geminispace.org/s/discoveries

gemini://gemini.circumlunar.space/capcom/feeds.txt

gemini://geminispace.info/known-feeds

gemini://cdg.thegonz.net/

gemini://medusae.space/

gemini://warmedal.se/~antenna/

gemini://rellwood.space/maze.gmi

gemini://gemini.thegonz.net/gk/

gemini://auragem.letz.dev/music/public_radio

gemini://foo.zone/

gemini://gemini.tuxmachines.org/feed.xml

I would love it if you might find a few minutes to go surf around in here to get an idea how tiny, simple, cool, and minimalistic it really is. It is old school and retro with simple self served static pages and links like the old days and beginning of the net when everyone hosted their own server, webpage, BBS, Etc. Also keep in mind some server links in here might not work for you because they are configured for only access with a Gemini client and a certificate. But the proxy should also proxy an access certificate for most of them.
Macaque Mentality

Atruepatriot wrote: ↑Wed Jan 03, 2024 5:44 am Since I can't get any of you guys to go to Gemini, I found a way to bring Gemini to you. This is a personal proxy server that acts as an interface portal between the normal HTTP/ protocol and the Gemini protocol. It allows you to browse the Geminispace from a HTTP browser connection. Now keep in mind that because each server is personal, and each personal host can set their own rules for usage, the woke rules on this proxy do not represent or speak for the Geminispace protocol. Every individual server belongs to the host as their own with their own rules just like serving up a website on the normal net. There are several proxies but I found this one to be unique and works well.

Gemini-proxy

Gemini is a text-based alternative web protocol, aka "smol internet". Geminispace exists as a refuge from the increasingly bloated and corporate-controlled World Wide Web. This is a minimalist online space where content is front and center, users are people, and constraints inspire creativity.

Using this proxy browser you can explore Geminispace without installing any special software.

>>> HTTP/ to Geminispace proxy portal ( Netscape 2 themed interface ) personally hosted by user obsessivefacts.

Yestercities 3rd party Gemini site hosting.

Some Gemini links to check out. Just enter URL in the address field in the obsessive facts proxy.

I would love it if you might find a few minutes to go surf around in here to get an idea how tiny, simple, cool, and minimalistic it really is. It is old school and retro with simple self served static pages and links like the old days and beginning of the net when everyone hosted their own server, webpage, BBS, Etc. Also keep in mind some server links in here might not work for you because they are configured for only access with a Gemini client and a certificate. But the proxy should also proxy an access certificate for most of them.
Thank you for this. I've checked it out. Looks cool!
Atruepatriot

Post by Atruepatriot »

Macaque Mentality wrote: ↑Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:01 am
Atruepatriot wrote: ↑Wed Jan 03, 2024 5:44 am Since I can't get any of you guys to go to Gemini, I found a way to bring Gemini to you. This is a personal proxy server that acts as an interface portal between the normal HTTP/ protocol and the Gemini protocol. It allows you to browse the Geminispace from a HTTP browser connection. Now keep in mind that because each server is personal, and each personal host can set their own rules for usage, the woke rules on this proxy do not represent or speak for the Geminispace protocol. Every individual server belongs to the host as their own with their own rules just like serving up a website on the normal net. There are several proxies but I found this one to be unique and works well.

Gemini-proxy

Yestercities 3rd party Gemini site hosting. ( Netscape 2 themed interface )

Thank you for this. I've checked it out. Looks cool!
THANK YOU! Pretty cool right? Extremely small and simple, just a few Kb each with no flare. Just enough to get the job done well without any unneeded bloat or scripts running in the background.
Atruepatriot

Post by Atruepatriot »

Gemini over LoRaWAN?

I'm fascinated by the idea of running a smolweb over LoRaWAN. Imagine a decentralized network of FLOSS-hardware devices, solar-powered, each running a gemini capsule and a relay (HAM radio style) to transmit data on to other points on the LoRaWAN mesh network. It's not a fast way to communicate, but smolweb gemini doesn't need to be. If LoRaWAN can reach 56.6kbps, it'd feel like the days of dialup, but... decentralized, solar-powered, and resistant to censorship.

Has anyone tried anything like this? Strap a raspberry pi zero to a solar panel and a LoRaWAN radio, and run a mesh network of smol protocol on it.

I realize that I'm dreaming and that this is likely way more difficult than I make it sound. Meshtastic is a (proprietary) LoRaWAN device that can already make the mesh network. pi / SBC computers and solar powered servers have been done already. Why not put those together?

=> /s/permacomputing Posted in: s/permacomputing
=> /u/Half_Elf_Monk 🌲 Half_Elf_Monk
21 hours ago Β· πŸ‘ stack, requiem

## 6 Comments ↓

=> /u/requiem/16513 πŸ’€ requiem Β· 18 hours ago:
This is a pretty cool idea. I have been wondering about this exact same thing. I would love to explore it.

=> /u/requiem/16514 πŸ’€ requiem Β· 18 hours ago:
Oh btw Meshtastic can be flashed on lots of things. ESP32’s are really cheap, (Β£3), LoRa modules can be bought for roughly the same price. TTGO also sell relatively inexpensive LoRa modules. AliExpress is great for things like this.

=> /u/Geer3The/16515 πŸš€ Geer3The Β· 18 hours ago:
I really like this idea. It would be also nice to incorporate something like syncthing to share text documents. I really want a way to have a mesh that doesn't depend on the existing grid.

=> /u/olav/16522 ⛡️ olav Β· 13 hours ago:
Inspired by this idea, I looked around and found Reticulum, which can form networks based on LoRa (not LoRaWAN) and might be a good basis for serving Gemini contents.

=> /u/norayr/16528 πŸ™ norayr Β· 9 hours ago:
olav, thank you for finding reticulum.

i would like to carefully express a concern that lora is not open source, and mention
=> gemini://gemi.dev/cgi-bin/wp.cgi/view?DASH7 β€” dash7

is. still i don't know if it is even feasible to buy dash7 devices.

=> /u/Geer3The/16529 πŸš€ Geer3The Β· 9 hours ago:
Dash7 - quote, "D7A fills the gap between the Short and the Large Area Networks.Β D7A excels in urban and industrial network installations connecting actuators and messaging applications (sensors, alarms, states) with ranges up to 500 m."

gemini://bbs.geminispace.org/s/permacomputing/16502
Macaque Mentality

Atruepatriot wrote: ↑Thu May 02, 2024 5:01 am
Cool!
scruffynerf

Post by scruffynerf »

Yeah, you'd want Reticulum, not Meshtastic.

And Reticulum can route over all sorts of devices, including Lora connections, so you could bridge "the net" into, so it would be reachable far beyond the Lora subnet.

Personally I'm not convinced of Gemini value, due to the small user base (I've discuss the slicing problem before: too few people to be of value), but for those who want to use it, it makes sense if you want to have to useable even if net goes down, to use Lora network like Reticulum.
Atruepatriot

Post by Atruepatriot »

Macaque Mentality wrote: ↑Thu May 02, 2024 5:44 am
Atruepatriot wrote: ↑Thu May 02, 2024 5:01 am
Cool!
I meant to tag you and @scruffynerf , I figured you would both be curious about this too. The importance is the connection of Meshtastic other meshware with the Lagrange desktop client. Looks like they are just taking a look at how to make it work. I'll keep an eye on it to see what they come up with and/or any challenges they run into. I think scruffynerf would enjoy getting involved with the detailed tech they share in there. The Lagrange client works great...

:)
Atruepatriot

Post by Atruepatriot »

scruffynerf wrote: ↑Thu May 02, 2024 5:52 am Yeah, you'd want Reticulum, not Meshtastic.

And Reticulum can route over all sorts of devices, including Lora connections, so you could bridge "the net" into, so it would be reachable far beyond the Lora subnet.

Personally I'm not convinced of Gemini value, due to the small user base (I've discuss the slicing problem before: too few people to be of value), but for those who want to use it, it makes sense if you want to have to useable even if net goes down, to use Lora network like Reticulum.
"Personally I'm not convinced of Gemini value, due to the small user base (I've discuss the slicing problem before: too few people to be of value), but for those who want to use it, it makes sense if you want to have to useable even if net goes down, to use Lora network like Reticulum."

This is true, few have realized the value of it yet so there is a small user base. And what I have found is that currently the users in there are liberal and kind of territorial. They defeat their own cause. It is almost like they want to keep it to themselves in a private club. It is hypocrisy and self defeating.

But... I personally do not even consider these aspects at all. I am looking at the potential to start from scratch with the software as a base to create our own private underground space network using unique porting and URLs. I like the concept of being light weight, secure, and true direct P2P. And a "package" all ready to go with both client and server boxed and ready to go would make it easy to install for the average user.

I want to play with this in the near future but I am in the middle of a huge move and lifestyle change right now so it will have to wait. The internet is about dead and this really would be a great way to go underground with a private net...
merkelspam

Post by merkelspam »

Atruepatriot wrote: ↑Tue Oct 03, 2023 7:18 pm Aside from websites there are old school BBS sites!

Screenshot from 2023-10-03 20-15-56.png
Gemini is a threat to the Goolag ad-revenue model, so what does Goolag do?

Releases a LLM called 'Gemini'.

It's the old jew trick of steal the real and sell the fake. Corrupt a namespace so it's inaccessible and forgotten.

They did this with the rainbow.
They did this with the word 'gay', which used to mean joyous.
They did this with Walter White, who was known as a man who inter... oh nevermind, not much interest here.

The best defense is to pick a name they'd never want to use, like 'qlipplib' 'joggerpus' 'frrooj' etc
... :SF
Atruepatriot

Post by Atruepatriot »

merkelspam wrote: ↑Sat May 04, 2024 12:45 am
Atruepatriot wrote: ↑Tue Oct 03, 2023 7:18 pm Aside from websites there are old school BBS sites!

It's the old jew trick of steal the real and sell the fake. Corrupt a namespace so it's inaccessible and forgotten.

They did this with Walter White, who was known as a man who inter... oh nevermind, not much interest here.

The best defense is to pick a name they'd never want to use, like 'qlipplib' 'joggerpus' 'frrooj' etc
Incredible... Thank you for sharing that.
Atruepatriot

Post by Atruepatriot »

merkelspam wrote: ↑Sat May 04, 2024 12:45 am

Have you tried it yet? I think you would like it because there is a lot of old school ASCII art. Because it is so minimalistic it is a big deal in there with a lot of folks showing off their talents.